The Department of Veterans Affairs annual arts competition recognizes the progress and recovery made through creative arts therapies and raises the visibility of the creative achievements of our nation’s Veterans.
Across the country each year, Veterans enrolled at VA health care facilities compete in a local creative arts competition co-presented by the VA and the American Legion Auxiliary. The competition includes categories in the visual arts that range from oil painting and leatherwork to paint-by-number kits. In addition, there are categories in writing as well as the performing arts of dance, drama and music. Local creative arts competition first place winning entries advance to a national
judging process and first, second and third place entries in each category are determined. Selected gold-medal-winning Veterans are
invited to attend the National Veterans Creative Arts Festival hosted by a different VA facility each year .
CRITERIA TO ENTER:
- Veteran artists need to be enrolled in VA Puget Sound healthcare system.
- All entries must have been created within the previous year to current year of NVCAF event unless entering the Military Combat Experience category. (cannot enter something from 3 years ago). MCE entry can be an older piece of work and requires a written essay.
- Consent Forms need to be filled out with the ok for photos, media, etc.
- Veterans can enter up to 3 categories per division. There are 51 categories in ART Division for example, where artists can choose 3 out of 51. Different divisions include Art, Music, Dance, Drama, Creative Writing.
- Veterans must turn in paperwork and entry by the deadline of Friday, August 26th 2022.
HOW TO ENTER:
- Submit 2 JPEG photos of your art entry through email with uploaded entry documents to Jeanne.firstname.lastname@example.org OR
- Attend drive-thru photo and submission clinic at either Seattle or Tacoma VA locations on dates below:
American Lake VA GYM Building 61
Wednesday, August 3rd 1-3pm GYM 61
Monday, August 8th 10am-noon GYM 61
Monday, August 22nd 10am-noon GYM 61
Seattle VA NEW MH building 101
Tuesday August 9th 10am-noon 101
Thursday August 2th 10am-noon 101
For questions and more information, contact Jeanne Hopkins: Jeanne.email@example.com